Saturday, February 10, 2007

Denver melting

New patches of grass and pathways I never new existed are appearing. Birds are again singing loudly here in Denver and the sound of water pouring down the gutters and past me on the streets as the snow melts, occupies my senses. It has been more then two weeks since any decent size snow storm but tomorrow a new snow storm is set to arrive.

Yesterday a mile stone in my nearly six weeks as an Americorps NCCC Team Leader, we picked our projects. Well picked may be a strong word. There was a lottery for numbers, then you chose your project as it became your turn. I would tell you what project I picked but as this is a public space and that information needs to remain confidential I cannot. I can tell you it was hard to rank the projects because they were all so alike. Most of them were habitat or habitat like projects. They were all in ideal locations and all seemed to have great support. None were bad projects.

Next week the next mile stone is picking our permanent teams. Its both exciting and terrifying. How I am I supposed to pick who to live and work with for the next ten months based on a few weeks interaction and very limited interaction at best. Also, its not only about who I can work and live with but who in the team can work and live with. I guess its about as easy or hard as I choose to make it. What I know is guiding me is God of course, and the subtle reminders of the vision of a loving sustained community. Here's a quote,

"Community is the coming together of individuals who have learned how to communicate honestly with each other, whose relationships go deeper than their masks of composure, and who have developed some significant commitment to 'rejoice together, mourn together' and to delight in each other, and make other's conditions our own." (M. Scott Peck in bell hooks 'All about love').

With love to you all.

No comments: